Thursday, March 10, 2011

Snow!

Hello friends, my name is Andrea, and I recently discovered this website and was invited to contribute! I hope I may help in some way.

I would like to share just a bit about myself! I attend Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Pennsylvania. I have been married almost two years to my wonderful husband and best friend, and we enjoy serving the Lord together at our church. (If you are interested, you can see our website here.)We have the privilege to work in the following ministries: Master Clubs Program (Wednesday nights -for kids), a small but growing bus route, working in the church office, doing bulletin boards, and whatever else needs done! What an honor to serve our God!

Well, my in-laws so graciously gave me a Cricut Expression for Christmas this year! So I got real excited about being able to cut out letters (as you can see!)...and I think I went a little overboard!

This board is composed of letters and snowflakes cut out on my Cricut, bulletin board paper background (our church supplies this in a variety of colors), and solid, colored border. Some of the snowflakes were cut out of patterned scrapbook paper (which can create a special effect sometimes), but it is difficult to make that out in the picture! Also, here's a tidbit: I cut out part of the letters with one kind of card stock, but then I ran out. I proceeded to purchase more white cardstock, but when I began cutting out more letters, I discovered the color was slightly different than the other white! Oh no! Whatever will I do? Well, I went ahead and cut out the rest of the letters, and then when I put the letters up, I just tried to mix and match the two "whites" as much as possible. In the final product, I think it would be difficult to notice unless you were right up next to the letters. Even then, you might need to be told what had happened to really notice it. So, don't despair when little things go wrong...it may be relatively easy to work out after all!

And I cannot write this without saying that I did indeed go a little "crazy" with this idea of being able to cut out the letters! They took a while to cut even with the Cricut, and perhaps even longer to put up on the board. I did not staple them, but used a "tape" applicator --kind of like using white-out tape. They were little sticky pieces that you just apply with pressure. (I hope I am explaining myself!) Sometimes tape looks better than a host of staples, but one-sided tape would take a very long time to roll up! So double-sided tape or some kind of "tape" applicator (like I used) makes it much easier. I would advise to try to find a shorter verse, though, unless you really feel God might want you to use the longer one!


Here is another little board (maybe about 2' x 3') in the same room that I try to match up with the bigger one. This time, it was relatively easy...just add more snowflakes, and keep a paper background and solid colored border!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Andrea! I'm so glad you are joining in and I'm looking forward to see more cricut ideas! Thanks for the great ideas...I should work more with tape as I'm kind of a staple finatic! Anyway, love the boards and I think it's a great idea to match 2 in a room! Cute.
Elizabeth